Skip to Content

Immigration Law Basics

Immigration Law Basics

Submitted by • February 28, 2020

Immigration Law Basics
There are a huge amount of people who think they can show up at a U.S. consulate or border post, and be welcomed in. Regrettably, this isn’t how the U.S. immigration system works.
People who want to migrate to the United States of America, temporarily or permanently, must choose if they fit into an eligibility category for either permanent residence (a "green card") or a temporary stay ("non-immigrant visa").
Then they have to submit an application or a series of applications to one or more of the U.S. agencies responsible for carrying out the immigration laws, requesting either a visa or a particular immigration "status.”
These agencies are the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which has offices all across the United States and a few overseas, and the U.S. Department of State (DOS), which administers consulates and embassies around the world. If you're already in the United States legally, then you can consult an immigration attorney, like Attor

Voted by:
Voted by attorneyrivera

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>